Thursday, February 17, 2005

A Day at Rangitoto..

Yesterday (16th February) Eabha, Emily, Aaron and I took a half our ferry ride to Rangitoto Island to check out the youngest volcano in the world (600 years). We took the main trail up and explored some lava caves. After a short lunch/diaper change/break we continued up to the summit. From the ferry the walk up to the summit takes an hour. After checking out the few for a few minutes we realized it was 4:15 and had to do an hours hike back down the volcano in 45 minutes to catch the last ferry back. We ran down that trail and made it in 23 minutes. After a quick swim at the base, we got back on the ferry and went back home to rest our sore feet.

Eabha is getting more and more clever, I don't know if she is ready to do my homework for me but she says "mamma", "daddy", "doggy" and "good"; and knows sign language for "change me", "I'm hungry", "I'm thirsty", "more", and "pick me up".

Tomorrow is my orientation at the university and I hope to update the blog to provide more information about the Maori ceremony that begins the welcome for international students..

1 Comments:

At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

John D.,

This is my first try (well, actually second - the request for username set off a minor identity crisis that derailed the first -the "Anonymous" solution, I'm sad to say, was entirely beyond the reach of my imagination) at leaving a comment. If it works, I may become more adventuresome. Eabha's blogsite is hugely entertaining! I enjoy the captions, Eabha's, especially, as much as the photos. One or all of you have a real gift for writing. The combination of information and wit (and, of course, the photos - was it Alice who said "What good is a story without pictures and conversation?) is a real treat. Keep them coming. We are vicariously enjoying a great trip to N.Z. The days without up-dates are like waiting for the downpour to let up so that our trip can continue. Suddenly, sitting in the station feels kind of boring!

Love, Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home